Followers

Thursday 7 April 2011

My journey from Fast food, vanity and the step machine to free range meats, performance training and kettlebells

PART 2

So the step machine and fried chicken were behind me. Well, the step machine certainly was but I still found a bit of time for a trip to Morleys :-)

Compound lifts such as deadlifts, pull ups, bench press, squats and cleans were the staple of my routine. That mixed in with my rugby training felt like an awesome combination. However, there was something still missing from this combination that was crucial.

You guessed it......it was still my diet.

My diet had become laden again with fast foods, chocolate and fizzy drinks. I was getting results with what I was doing and didn't feel I needed to pay so much attention to my diet.

THEN I MET THE GIRL.

I stuck to my big lifts and rugby (varying things along the way of course) until I was 22. It was here I met my now girlfriend, business partner and homie Keris Marsden.

I had just finished a workout and I was in the sitting area of the gym about to sink my teeth into a cheese laden bowl of chicken and pasta and a can of coke. Keris walked past and was in shock at what i was eating. "That is so unhealthy" she yelled. I was a young naive personal trainer who thought as I didn't need to lose fat i didn't need to pay that much attention what I was eating.

IT'S WHATS ON THE INSIDE THAT COUNTS.

Keris highlighted to me that this was no way to go and she was right. When I thought about it, my energy levels were all over the place, I felt tired a lot. I just figured it was because I trained so hard.

I didn't really pay any attention to her at this point and carried on as I saw best. As I got more clients, started work earlier and finished later I found that not only was I struggling to fit my training in but I had no energy to train when I had the opportunity.

I HATED IT.

I realised Keris was right, my diet was the glitch in my plan. I needed to make a change. This is where Keris introduced us to the paleo diet (eating like a caveman). We cut out all the processed foods, no more pasta, bread, sweets and chocolate. For the first 5days I felt like absolute shit, no energy, headaches, dehydrated, but I read up on it (yes i can read, which im sure will surprise a few) and this was expected. On the 6th day I was a new person, I had energy from the moment I woke up until the very end of the day. My training went through the roof and the results were coming thick and fast.

As the results came I wanted to be even better with my diet, and the better I was the better results I got. It was a great cycle to be in and I felt amazing.

It took me a while but I now eat a very natural diet (most of the time). I eat organic free range meats and poultry, organic veg, fruit, nuts and seeds. I cook more than ever before and am always experimenting with new recipes. I have cheat meals once or twice a week and fully appreciate and enjoy them when I do.

It's easy to take tasty and convenient food for granted when you are eating it everyday. Chocolate and ice cream now tastes even better when I have gone 2 weeks without it.

IN A NUTSHELL:

Over training + junk food = poor results and lack of energy.

Smarter training + natural eating = great results and a ton of energy.

As much of a no brainer as it is, it took me years to come round to it.

My advice to you is if you lack in energy and your results have come to a halt, assess your diet and go natural where possible. It has worked for me and my clients so give it a try, it may just change your life the way it changed mine.

Yours,

Matt Whitmore

2 comments:

  1. Hey Matt,
    Nice work, it's hard to change diet and exercise at the same time (for me anyway). Did you feel weak at first when exercising? I think it's a little different for me; I'm trying to lose weight quickly because for a holiday, I'll worry about maintaining later. But some days I feel weak when doing particularly vigorous exercise and struggle not to eat everything in sight afterwards.
    Also how do you keep the momentum of cooking? Last week I was good but now I’m sort of going for the easy quick stuff :|
    I am also doing a diet blog; I usually give up after 2 weeks of dieting, this way I have more pressure to keep going.
    http://mylittledietblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenny,

    Thank you for your comment.

    In answer to your questions, I can't stress the importance of diet enough. If your training is suffering because of your diet then you are clearly not eating right. Your diet is your fuel and if it lacks nuttiants or sufficient calories then you will hinder your performance.

    When I converted to the paleo style of eating as mentioned in the blog I cut out a lot of the crap, bread and pasta etc. The truth is for the first 5 days I felt like crap. Best way to describe it was like a.5 day hangover. Headaches, no energy, tiredness and yes my training was not great in this time. However did my research and this was to be expected.

    On the 6th day, I can not explain the change, my energy was through the roof and my training went to all kinds of new heights. I felt awesome and I will never look back now.

    I dropped 2% body fat like that and I'm so happy with the results. The best thing is it's now a lifestyle for me, not a temporary fix. That way it does not feel difficult to maintain. I eat great tasting, unprocessed food 80% of the time and I still have my treats (normally ice cream, chocolate or beer but all in moderation).

    I follow a very intense yet structured training regime and my diet allows me to do so. I always ha e energy for my workouts and I recover fast. I would be more than happy to have a look at your eating lan and give you some ideas on how to improve.

    With regards to the cooking, yes it can get quite tiring :-) but it has to be done. We tend to cook in bulk at the beginning of the week and that sees us through a good few days worth of lunches and dinners. I always have a big breakfast at home and snack on organic nuts and seeds and dried fruit between meals.

    What is youremail address? I will send other some fantastic recipe ideas.

    Great idea on writing a diet blog, it's a great incentive.

    I like to think if I can convert then anybody can.

    Again thank you for getting in touch Jenny and please send over any other questions you may have.

    I hope my reply was helpful. Have a great day,

    Matt

    ReplyDelete