Followers

Tuesday 14 June 2011

Health – The Holy Grail? My recipe for success.

So after noticing for the last couples of weeks I am managing to use 20kg + kettlebells on most drills. I have bags of energy, am sleeping like a baby and am feeling amazing!




Those of you not into fitness can look away now and I apologise in advance if I begin to sound too evangelical.

You may have read Matt’s and Keris’ weekly emails constantly banging on about the importance of DIET, exercise, REST - repeat repeat ad nauseum…. and either let it go over your head and switch off or thought
‘yeah yeah Matt and Keris already look amazing – its their business to sell this lifestyle – they have an agenda (even though they don’t) they just love what they do and have a mission to spread the word (told you this might get evangelical) and they just happen to look the part.'

(Reading this back I can hear them saying ‘we don’t just LOOK the part it takes WORK!' :0))

Well I’m telling you now I’m just your average very late 30 something – (ok 42) who has an interest in health, food and fitness, who has discovered a certain formula or recipe and I am really starting to reap the benefits. I’m going to share my thoughts with you…

There is a definite recipe for my delicious results cake…and here it is.

DIET
Yes I have done the Paleo or at least a version of it. Stop rolling your eyes…I know that it is certainly not for everybody and there is a definite split amongst friends. Those who are on it, like it or can live with it. Or the other half that haven’t done it, hate it. I’m am NOT saying get on it, it’s your choice. Find your own recipe for success.

Diet basic summary – follow these guidelines. I’m not telling you exactly what to eat.

Protein Shake, Protein breakfast mid morning with salad veggies of choice. Lean meat and salad for lunch. Lean meat and veggies for dinner. Snack – nuts, fruits, berries etc – SIMPLES!


HAVE A CHEAT MEAL/DAY
It depends on your goals. If you need to have a drink then do so – but make it worth it. A large glass of good red wine is far better than a few pints of lager. Good quality chocolate is fine. Just don’t ignore your overall consumption over a week. Too much and you will reduce any gains you are making.

Most importantly DON’T beat yourself up over having a little bit of what you fancy occasionally so you don’t feel deprived.

Check out http://www.cucinaceri.wordpress.com/ there are some great simple healthy meal ideas on here.


EXERCISE
I am now working out 4-5 times a week. I squeeze most of this in before going to the office. It works for me so I can also have a life. This may sound a lot but it is the level of commitment I have chosen. It breaks down into 2 PT sessions with Matt and 2-3 classes with Fitter London (http://www.fitterlondon.co.uk/). Mix it up guys. You are less likely to get bored.


SUPPORT
I have built up a great support network of like minded people – some of those attend the classes and some that don’t. One thing they all have in common is that they have a positive outlook, are interested, enthusiastic, motivational, open minded and all love their food!



REST
I cannot stress the importance of this part of the recipe enough. GET YOUR REST DAYS. You must rest to come back stronger! I know it’s hard to stop when you’re on a roll.
Believe me I have failed so many times because I have gotten carried away because I have felt great, strong and full of beans. Only to overtrain or strain a muscle which has not had time to fully recover.


THE CAKE
Follow the simple recipe steps above and you will feel amazing, fitter, rested, stronger!


Decide for yourself what your achievable goals are. You know I’m not getting any younger and having a 6 pack at this point in my life is not exactly achievable but if this recipe gets me any nearer then that’s an added benefit.


You might be thinking that all this is not exactly news, it’s not exactly the holy grail is it? – I agree but the point is you have to discover all this for yourself.

I have and I am lucky to have had my eureka moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment