Followers

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Breakfast Evolution: Bran Flakes to Brazil Nuts Pt II


So there I was enjoying scrumptious Nine bars and a Soya Cappuccino for breakfast as a quick energy hit. What was the problem?? Half an hour later and I was starving again. Soon I was having two for breakfast and considering a third!

At this point the lovely Matt stepped in and convinced me to try his favourite breakfast, a Topps Cafe Special: smoked salmon with steamed scrambled eggs (and if you're Matt - 10 rounds of toast and marmalade) and a black coffee. Although I never looked forward to it as much as my sticky, sweet bars it kept me full until way past lunchtime. Such a difference!

So why the need to change again...? Variety is so essential in your diet, I soon got to the point where I just couldn’t face salmon and eggs every morning. Admittedly the smell of freshly made toast in Topps cafe was becoming all too tempting every morning.

Just to digress for a second, I once heard Giles Coren (Food Critic) rant about how supermarkets and food outlets “nasally assault” costumers by pumping the smell of freshly baked bread, pastries and cakes out the door to tempt you in. Maybe it’s because I’ve eliminated them from my diet but I seem to notice this more and more, if you fancy a beating check out Paul’s, Ben’s Cookies and the worst offender by far Primrose Bakery – the smell of baking cup cakes makes you want to stick your head in the door and ask if you can lick the bowl!!

Anyway back to breakfast, at this point I was trying out one of the many caveman diets and so had switched to nuts and fresh fruit for breakfast. Berries, melon with brazil nuts or almonds was my favourite, but I soon to switched to macadamia’s and walnuts instead to up my Omega 3 intake.

Then I came across a recommendation from a top US nutritionist, and I quote “the best single dietary tip of optimal leanness, energy and sustained mental focus.” "What is it?", I hear you all cry......!!!! Well try rotating meat and nuts for breakfast. The meat allows for a steady rise in blood sugar and the nuts provide healthy fats that stabilise the blood sugar for an extended period of time.

For example:

• 1-2 Buffalo burgers + 1 handful of macadamia nuts

• 1 large venison steak + 1 handful of cashew nuts

• 1-2 lean turkey burgers + 1 handful of almonds

• 2 lean ground beef burgers + 1 handful of brazil nuts

• 2 chicken breasts + 1 handful of hazelnuts

Have I followed this....have I heck! And I can’t help but think it didn’t work for Henry VIII. However, a couple of mornings I have tried eating a chicken breast with my nuts and saving the fruit fix for later. It’s strange but certainly filling and does the job. I guess I’m still looking for what really works for me, I’ve certainly evolved but venison at 6am might be one step too far even for me!
What I will say is that cutting out the complex, refined carbohydrates and dairy has made a huge difference to my appetite, energy levels and subsequently my physique.

It took me ten years to get there, I hope you can be persuaded sooner to bin the Special K!

2 comments:

  1. How do you make steamed scrambled eggs??? Hmmm, meat and nuts for breakfast sounds a bit much but perhaps a few more protein based breakfasts wouldn't go amiss :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you Keris- i have completely ditched the cereal bars, bowls of granola, special k etc..for big bowls of Fruit (mainly the berry family) with some natural no added sugar yogurt and its worked for me…lost those stubborn few pounds and have defo seen a difference in my body shape- this along with x3 work out sessions and weight training once a week!! Umm shall try the meat options next and eat the fruit later in the day! No harm in giving it a go-but I know the fruit works for me  xx

    ReplyDelete