Followers

Wednesday 24 August 2011

The power of Deadlifts, squats and pull ups

6 weeks ago I managed to injure my right shoulder, I'm not quite sure how but it was pretty damn painful and was a real show stopper. Kettlebells presses, snatches, bench press and press ups were out the window. I was gutted but anyone who trains knows that injuries will happen from time to time and it was just something I had to work around, as frustrating as that is.

My training focus over the last 10 weeks has been on strength. I simply want to get as strong as possible and after reading 'Dinosaur Training' by Brooks Kubik I was ready to go. I set myself some targets and followed Brooks guidelines and the results were coming in.

However......

I literally woke up one morning feeling as awesome as ever :-) I went off to work and attempted to demonstrate a press up to a client. There it was, a shooting pain deep in my rear delt that I felt at the bottom position of the press up. Once I finished with my client I had a little play around to work out what it could be. I physically could not press a thing and shoulder rotation movements were very uncomfortable.

I threw a huge wobbly as, just like most, getting injured is never great news especially when I felt so focused with my training and was getting stronger each week. But after Keris told me to man up and look at ways of making it better rather than just getting annoyed, I did exactly that.

I still had my Deadlifts, squats, pull ups, rows, curls to do and rotational movements for my abs so not all was lost but I did deeply miss shoulder pressing. Never been that bothered about benching but I love pressing heavy weights overhead, I always have.

Here is an example strength routine and shoulder rehab program I have been doing:

Trigger point therapy, Indian clubs and mobility drills

  1. Deadlifts 5x5
  2. Bottom position squats/weighted wide pull ups 5x5
  3. Reverse cable wood chops 5x10 each side
    Cable face pulls 5x15
  4. Mobility and stretch.
I would tinker with the rep range switching between 5x5, 5x3 and heavy singles

So 6 weeks down the line and the shoulder is feeling good, even though I have not so much as done a press up in that time. I suppose the fact that my Deadlifts and squats were going so well it distracted me from the absence of pressing movements.



Last week I decided to have a little go at some single arm kettlebell shoulder presses, which I love. To my surprise, I lifted the same weight for 5 reps that I did 6 weeks ago and I even had more in the tank. Unfortunately it's the heaviest kettlebell I have (40kg) before making the jump to my 64kg kettlebell and I'm not quite there yet for shoulder presses :-)

I honestly could not believe it but I 100% put it down to the big movements that are deadlifts, squats and pull ups. I may not have done any pressing at all but did not lose a single bit of pressing strength, infact I felt stronger. This was awesome news and I was buzzing. The truth is I was expecting to have to drop poundage as it had been 6 weeks, I never expected to feel so powerful.

If deadlfts, squats and pull ups are not part of your routine then you are simply missing out on some of the greatest gains in your training regime.

They are at the moment the bread and butter of my regime and I have gained 2kg in muscle mass, I'm stronger than ever before and I feel great. Whatever your goals are these movements will work wonders for you.

It's not about just going through the motions, these compound movements require focus and attention to detail. Once you have mastered them and start adding some serious weight to the bar, smashing PBs and not a single sign of injury, you feel on top of the world, unstoppable and you have an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.

Learn the movements, get them in your routine and experience some serious results.

Train smart, eat well and sleep peacfully,

Matt Whitmore

No comments:

Post a Comment