Followers

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Home-made Sugar Face Scrub


**To all the men who are about to ignore this post, you have to know Keris made this scrub for Matt last weekend and he couldn't stop raving about how nice his skin felt. There's nothing wrong with a man who takes care of his skin so... read it** :)

One of the advantages of using simple home-made products is I know exactly what it's in it, no weird ingredients that I can't pronounce or would have to Google.

I've slowly become more conscious of what I put into and onto my body, especially in the last year.

Last year, Keris attended an eye opening course, made some changes to her diet (more organic food less processed rubbish), hair/skin products (funny thing is I knew a lot about this already but had so much more to learn) and just generally more aware of everything she ate, used, etc. Lucky for me, I'd already adopted some of the new habits she formed a while back so I was happy to acquire even more knowledge <-- Thanks Keris!

Late last year, I went to the States to spend Christmas with my Sister and the first thing I noticed when she picked me up from the airport was how much her skin was GLOWING! My Sister has had on and off skin problems for years and she has tried so many skin products and treatments, not have been successful long term. Last year she started doing some research and followed some blogs of ladies who took care of their skin with natural, homemade products. Her skin has totally transformed, it's amazing!

Funny thing was I'd heard of these methods and had actually tried one of them but didn't keep it up for reasons I can't recall now. Some of them are:

  • Using oil to clean the face - yes, oil! This is another blog post in itself
  • Oil as a moisturiser... yep, you read right OIL.
  • Using a homemade scrub to exfoliate <--- Reason for this post.
  • Fuller's Earth Powder mask (this is an Indian earth powder) to deeply cleanse the skin

Once I got back from my Xmas break, I went out and bought grapeseed oil to use as my face moisturiser and some fuller's earth powder from an indian store and decided to try it out and I haven't looked back :)

I'm loving the results! I know I didn't start out with spots but I have always had dry skin so no matter what soap/wash I use for my face, it always feels super dry after washing. Now sometimes I forget to moisturise until a couple of hours after! For me, that's HUGE!

  • My face cleansing oil is a mix of Castor Oil and Sweet Almond Oil (I'll blog about this next week)
  • Moisturiser - Grapeseed Oil

The first time I used this scrub, I couldn't stop stroking my cheeks, lol! My skin was baby soft... seriously!

I aim to use this once a week.

5 tablespoons of Brown sugar with 7-8 tablespoons of EVOO Oil and store in a glass jar.


  • I apply to my dry face and *gently* massage in circular motions... I do this for a few minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
  • Then I soak a face towel in hot water and place it on my face for about a minute - during this time, the excess oils are being removed.
  • I rinse the face towel and repeat a couple more times.
  • Then I do a quick *cold rinse* to close my pores.
  • Dry my face and apply my moisturiser (grapeseed oil).

There'll be more posts on natural and/or home-made skin and hair care from me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment