Followers

Wednesday 13 July 2011

The Importance of Personal Bests.

Everyone loves achieving a personal best (PB). Be it shaving seconds off their 10k run, adding 5kg to their bench press or getting out an extra pull up than last week.

Personal bests make you feel good, they inject confidence and provide you with the satisfaction of knowing that the hard work your putting in is paying off.

Here's a perfect example of how a personal best changed my day...

Last Friday was just one of those days - Low on energy, busy week and just felt pretty sh*tty and unmotivated to be honest. Anyway, I had already agreed to train with a friend of mine so there was no getting out of it.
However, I dug deep and to my surprise I managed to pull off a 5 rep max personal best on my deadlift. All of a sudden my workout had a whole new meaning. I then went on to PB on my 5 rep max double arm kettlebell shoulder press. I was on fire, I was buzzing and I felt awesome.

I was now shaking with adrenaline, eager to take on the heaviest weights I could. My mood had done a 180 and I was ready to take on the busy day I had ahead of me. I suppose I was thinking that whatever happens today really won't get to me as I just shifted a sh*tload of weight off the floor. More weight than ever before. It's a great feeling.

So what's the point of this blog post?

Well firstly, to give myself a bit of a shout out, because everybody loves a shout out :-)

Secondly, because it surprises me just how many people just go through the motions with their training. They don't write anything down, they don't monitor their progress. If someone can't even remember what they were lifting last week how can they possibly expect to improve on it this week?

I write all my workouts down to a T. Reps, sets, rest, time of day. I'm not saying I improve week on week, truth is, some weeks my performance or poundages decline. Luckily though, I have a record of what I have been doing so I can see why this may be. Was I still fatigued from my last workout? Did I train at a different time? Had I got enough sleep? Sometimes just having an extra day off can be responsible for a 5-10kg increase in poundage.....seriously

In order to achieve a PB you need to know what your current one is. So as soon as you finish reading this blog, go get yourself a little notebook and a pen and write all your workouts down. Then give yourself some targets and achieve them.

I'm sure you have seen it on facebook. "I lifted 220kg on my deadlift today", "I just nailed a PB on my snatch". People shout about it because they feel good about it. And so they should.

However,

PB's don't just happen overnight, they don't come thick and fast, you have to work hard for them. This is what makes them so satisfying. Remember a PB is personal to you, it doesn't matter if your friend shifts 30kg more than you on Deadlifts. What's important is that you have lifted the heaviest weight ever in your life, you're the strongest you have ever been on that particular exercise.

Don't let other peoples PBs take anything away from yours, simply use them to fuel your next PB.

Here is another great example:

A few months ago, I was doing a photoshoot with a friend of mine CJ Swaby. I know I mention this guy quite often, but he deserves it as he's a great dude and incredibly knowledgeable. However I want to make it very clear that we are just friends and fellow strength enthusiasts. He wants it to be a deeper and more meaningful relationship at times but he really is just not my type ;-)

Just kidding.

On this particular photoshoot for an upcoming project, we were performing various lifts including kettlebells, barbells and bodyweight drills.
We finally got to the deadlift. The idea was we were only going to load the bar up with about 150kg, bang out a few reps and that was that. Anyway, the bar gradually started getting heavier and we were both feeling pretty good. At this point CJ said "f@&*# it, I'm gonna go for a PB", I then as a man with an ego replied "f@&*# it, if you are then I am". So my PB prior to this day was 200kg, I loaded the bar with 215kg. I knew thus was a big jump but I felt good and I had some great encouragement from CJ and the photographer Brian. I took my stance, took some deep breaths, after hearing the CJ yell "rip that bar off the floor" I knew that was my cue to do just that. I proceeded to rip that bar off the floor with far greater ease than I expected. I felt on top of the world, it was a great end to a great day.


Up next was CJ's set. The photoshoot had some how evolved from a light hearted shoot to a testosterone fuelled training session. CJ loaded an awesome 240kg to the bar, I believe 10kg heavier than his previous best. BOOM, he ripped that bar off the floor with ease. From where I was standing it looked like he could have done 250kg.

So, after giving each other the congratulating hand shake we were both buzzing from our feats. And rightly so, we smashed our PBs.

I want to highlight that although CJ shifted a substantial 25kg more than I did, I didn't care as I knew I was now the strongest I have ever been on my deadlifts. And of course I was happy for CJ and not bitter at all, even if he did cheat ;-), like I said I'm not bitter.

So remember, your PB is yours, don't let anyone else take that away from you. Just be sure you then aim for your next one, dont be content in your achievment. Dig deep and pull your next one out of the bag.

Anyway, I'm waffling now but you get the picture.

Create goals, log your progress, achieve PBs and repeat the cycle. It won't always be a smooth ride but as long you write things down at least you will have an explanation as to why this may be.

Anyway, I'm about to go eat a 50oz steak, that's 20oz more than my previous best. Wish me luck.

Have a great day and look forward to your response.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment