Followers

Tuesday 19 July 2011

My primal journey part 2: by Steven Costello

Progress

So I’ve been living and breathing Paleo for 6 weeks now. The first two weeks were tough … no coffee, carbs, and sugar brought unimaginable mental pain. Remember I loved coffee, carbs and sweet food. But now the Paleo principles are a way of life.

Go heavy or go home

Matt’s prescribed exercise regime was tough (see below). So tough that I nearly cried the first time I did it. It was depressing how weak I was on the pull-ups. I could only manage three! My goal is to torch my belly and build muscle, which means going heavy on the weights. But form is crucial and mine was bad. Personal trainers may be expensive but think of it as an investment rather than a cost … they’ll get you there in half the time. Matt’s plan was right for my body type and he took the time to correct my form.

Freedom to roam

Part of the plan involved becoming a Fitter London Freedom Pass holder which means that I’m now physically and mentally tortured 3 times a week. But the classes are addictive; you’re pushed to the limit in every session, the classes are packed, the music rocks and there’s a great energy in the room. This energy gets you through the pain. And as Matt once said to me, “Pain never killed anyone”.

Matt’s Regime

Mon: Compound

Week 1: 3 x 12 – 15 reps (60 secs rest)
Week 2: 3 x 10 – 12 reps (60 secs rest)
Week 3: 3 x 8 – 10 reps (60 secs rest)
Week 4: 3 x 6 – 8 reps (90 secs rest)

This involves 4 supersets:

1. Incline DB press / dead lift
2. Flat DB press / pull ups
3. Front DB squats / DB row
4. Lunges (DB in each hand) / barbell or DB curls

Tues: Kettlebells for Strength & Bodyweight Conditioning

Weds: Rest

Thurs: Kettlebells - Cardio and Core

Fri: Rest

Sat: Kettlebells for Strength, Size and a Six Pack

Sun: Rest

After 6 weeks of training four times per week I have noticed significant strength gains. I can comfortably do a 32kg double arm swing, shoulder press 20kg on each arm and my recovery times are improving.

Measurements

My body fat dropped from 23.7% to 21% after 3 weeks. I was hoping for more but Keris explained that 0.5-2% a week is the norm. I also dropped 10mm from my waist, which shows that the diet can work in a short amount of time.

The main stumbling block is my belly. It’s still there and doesn’t seem to want to leave my body fast. This points towards high cortisol levels from stress so I’ve been told to make a conscious effort to sleep more, get down time from work, always train early and take magnesium at lunch and in the evening.

I knew this challenge would be tough and it’s at these times that you need to dig deep. Having Matt and Keris is also invaluable in helping me overcome the stumbling blocks.

So a little patience and perseverance is going to be needed. I’m also taking weekly photos and measurements of myself i.e. waist, chest, bicep and quads. Mini results every week is the only motivation I need.

In the next next blog

I’ll explain what supplements I am taking, when and why. I’ll also go into a bit more detail about my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment