Followers

Monday 4 July 2011

GET A GRIP


Get a grip:

As important as it is to do so, I'm not talking about keeping your your cool, staying calm or remaining composed. I'm talking hand strength and developing a bone crushing grip.

In my experience as a personal trainer, rugby player and strength enthusiast, it has become very clear to me that having a strong grip is a huge advantage. Whether your performing deadlifst or pull ups, tackling a 20 stone oooooffffff on the pitch or just trying to squeeze out a couple of extra curls. If your grip is weak, you will be at a disadvantage in all of the above situations.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not implying that I have a crazy strong grip, however, I once relied upon straps to perform my Deadlifts, pull ups and heavy rows. This was great from a poundage point of view but before long my natural grip strength was fast fading. This was most apparent to me on the rugby pitch, I could not hold on to people without them breaking through my grip. I felt pathetc.

So after some reading I ditched the straps and went back to raw lifts. The only disappointing thing was, I had to drastically reduce my poundages to prevent my grip failing me before my muscles had even started to get warm. Let's just say this was not great for my ego and now felt even more pathetic. But I was determined to obtain the bone crushing grip I longed for.

Within just a few weeks and with the introduction of magnesium chalk (my lifesaver) my poundages went through the roof and my grip felt solid. What a relief. Now, if I get a hold of a shirt on the rugby pitch it's like a pit bulls lock jaw. There was no way I was letting go.

Again, my grip strength has a very very long way to go. However I am now safe in the knowledge that my grip is never the first to fail me on any exercise. Don't let your grip get in the way of your lifting potential. It really is a crucial part of what will get you to the next level.

Over then next couple of weeks I will be posting various grip developing videos. I will be using kettlebells, barbells, dumbbells and weight plates, all of which are great to work with and I wanted to give as many options for people as possible.

I hear so often the famous saying "it's annoying because my muscles could keep going but my grip fails me". Remember having a strong grip is as much about having strong ligaments and tendons as it is strong muscles. They all work together to create a devastating grip.

The videos will show you how to develop the strength in your fingers, hands and forearms to improve both pure grip strength (1 rep max deadlift) and endurance (high rep kettlebell swings or snatches). I will show you ways to develop strength and condition your ligaments and tendons to back up your muscular strength.

Whatever your goal I am sure you will find the videos helpful for both yourself or that of your clients.

Enjoy,

Matt Whitmore

1 comment: